Using innovative technology platforms and smart content solutions this client is operating at the cutting edge of big data, semantic web and cloud technology enabling faster more effective critical decision making across the globe. They are supporting institutions and professionals to progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity.
You will be a talented and self-motivated Data Engineer with an interest in big data technologies (Spark, Scala, Kafka). The team is a new and fast-growing agile team and you will help design and build a new capability making use of big data technology. This is an exciting opportunity to play a leading role in changing the way the data based products are delivered, this is on both existing products with high volumes of traffic and new, innovative ones.
- Develop applications that exploit a unique collection of scientific data.
- Build cloud-based data matching applications and APIs for researcher, organisational and publishing information.
- Build well formed API’s and services to allow other members of the wider ecosystem to easily integrate with applications.
- Take advantage of techniques such as TDD, pair-programming and continuous delivery.
- Work with Data Scientists and Product Managers to ensure software if high quality and meets user requirements.
- A positive and collaborative mindset.
- A desire to deliver real business value to the customer.
- Comfortable with and enthusiastic to learn new technologies, languages and tools on the job to ensure the products are not left behind in a rapidly evolving ecosystem.
- Clear written and verbal communication.
Skills & Experience:
- Excellent programming skills on the JVM using Scala or Java.
- Familiar with Scala or enthusiastic to learn it.
- Comfortable working with SQL/NoSql
- Comfortable working in Unix CLI and with cloud infrastructure.
- An advocate of agile practices for rapid development of quality software, such as CI, TDD and automated development.
- Experience with Spark or the Hadoop ecosystem and similar frameworks is ideal for this role.
- Experience with Kafka is ideal for this role.
Please send me your CV and some information about what you like about this opportunity and I will be in touch ASAP to find out more about yourself.
If you have some but not all of the requirements for this role, I would still love to hear from you.