As a Scala developer you have the opportunity to work in some of the most incredible tech companies globally using the coolest and most advanced tech stacks but often the main question on a new role is salary.
The Scala programming language has been in use for 10 years as of 2019 and is continually being developed. Therefore having the experience of using this complex language commercially is of great benefit as it shows an understanding of functional programming and passion for programming to have stuck with a language.
Taking the above into consideration, London is one of the cities with the highest paying salaries and with a vast amount of available roles it is a preferable location for many. However, until you are presented with a job offer it can be difficult to calculate if you could actually live there taking into consideration the cost of living.
What is the average pay for a Scala Developer in London?
There can be many things which contribute to a salary including experience, tech stack and exact location within the city.
Figures correct as of January 2019.
As a permanent employee, you have the benefit of job security and employee benefits such as sick pay, holiday entitlement and possibly a bonus scheme. The company may also usually be in favour of you receiving training allowing you the opportunity to further your career progression and being a more integrated member of the team.
Example of permanent developer roles and salaries in London
- Junior Scala Developer, £30,000 - £45,000
- Junior/Mid-Level Developer, £55,000
- Senior Scala Engineer, Up to £95,000
- Scala Data Engineer, £70,000
Figures correct as of January 2019.
When you are hired as a contractor gives you a great amount of freedom and flexibility as well as the option to work partially or fully remote. You have the option to change up the projects you are working on which means you often have a constant learning platform by taking on new challenges and roles.
Example of contract developer roles and salaries in London
- Scala Developer, £550 - £600 per day
- Scala Software Developer, £600 - £650 per day
- Core Scala Engineer, up to £500 per day
As you can see above the starting salary for a developer is on average £45,000 PA or up to £400 daily rate for a Junior Developer.
Qualities of a Junior Developer;
- Recently graduated from University.
- Or has 1-2 years of commercial experience.
- Passionate about programming.
- Eager to learn and further their knowledge.
A Mid-Level Developer is paid on average £64,000 PA or £550 daily rate.
Coming into a role at this level it is usually expected that you will have;
- 3-5 years of commercial experience.
- Can confidently programme in Scala with needed assistance or mentoring.
- Ability to conduct code reviews.
- Contribute ideas to how the team can better their programming.
As a Senior Developer, you will tend to receive a salary of around £90,000 PA or £650 daily rate.
Qualities of a Senior developer;
- Proficient in Scala with 5-6 years’ experience.
- Experience using other languages relevant.
- Responsibility and ownership of projects.
- Drive initiative within the team.
- Identify risks.
Engineering Lead is one of the top positions you can obtain as a developer. Salaries tend to average £120,000 PA or £800 daily rate depending on engineering team sizes, industry and experience.
As an Engineering Lead you will be expected to encompass these skills;
- 7-8 + years of Scala experience.
- Be a strong leader and take full leadership for the engineering teams.
- Help those within the team to develop and further their knowledge.
- Motivate and inspire those within the team.
- Have an excellent technical understanding which can be conveyed onto all aspects of a project.
If you are open to looking for a new role as a Scala Developer in London then just give us a shout and email us on email@example.com. We will take the time to fully understand what type of opportunity is ideal for you and your skillset.
Or, if London isn't for you, don't worry we work in over 17 countries globally so we can promise to find you an exciting role, check out our current list of live roles here.